1.10.2011

NAIAS and Ford Green Day One

I’ve had a great first 24 hours in Detroit at the North American International Auto Show and Ford Green Driving Technology Event. I’ve been unexpectedly moved and impressed by many of the car companies' commitment to sustainability and fuel economy. Is it all just lip-service following a trend in green living? Who knows? But I’ve felt a sincerity from many of the company representatives (And believe me, I’m as skeptical and cynical as they come.)

On Sunday night I had dinner at the Detroit Institute of Art in the Diego Rivera Gallery. Those beautiful murals represent an unlikely partnership between American industrial businessman Henry Ford and Mexican communist artist Diego Rivera. (Take note partisan politicians – amazing things happen when opposites work together.) Also at the dinner was Edsel Ford II, great-grandson of Henry Ford. He came across as not just another PR wonk or executive spouting the company line.









Edsel Ford II speaking at the Ford Green Event Sunday


This morning I got the opportunity to attend the Ford press conference where they unveiled a new line of fuel efficient gas, hybrid and electric vehicles. I haven’t had time to study all the facts and stats behind their new lines, but Ed Begley, Jr. spoke in favor of the new Ford line, and if it’s good enough for Ed, it’s probably good enough for me.




Remember guys, I'm just sharing my impressions and experiences at this event as an average person who's trying to be greener. I'm no expert, but I'm going to share the information I learn with you.

*Fun Fact: There are two pair of recycled blue jeans in the roof lining of the new Ford Focus*

More to come!


*I was invited to participate in this program by Clever Girls Collective, Inc. in partnership with Ford and Ogilvy PR. Ford Motor Company paid for my travel and accommodations at the 2-day Driving Green Technology event, I was not compensated in any other manner for my time.  My opinions posted here are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!