2.28.2011

Southern Squash Casserole

In preparation for all of the yummy fresh vegetables I will soon be finding at the farmer's market (mine opens in March!) I thought I'd share my family's squash casserole recipe. Almost all good southern squash casserole recipes have 4 things in common -- squash, onion, cheddar cheese and Ritz crackers. But after that, there's some variation -- some use sugar, mayo, bacon, sour cream, egg, garlic, or any combination of ingredients. Here's mine:

4 cups yellow squash, sliced (approximately 5-6 squash)
1/2 onion, chopped (I use Vidalia)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed (or generic)
1 egg
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp butter or margarine, cut into "pats"
2 tbsp oil (or melted buttered)
salt and pepper to taste



Preheat over to 350. Put squash, onions and oil in large pan over medium heat and saute. Remove from heat and let cool. Put 1/2 sleeve or cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup cheese into bowl. Add squash mixture, egg, sour cream and salt and pepper. Combine well. (I use my hands). Put mixture in greased casserole dish and top with remaining crackers and cheese mixed together. Finish with pats of butter. Cook for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!